SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

How do you Fair? Dixie Classic Fair Memories


October is here and with it that ache that has become all too familiar.  Akin to homesickness for a place that is so familiar it feels like home.  To many it is just a county fair, a place for food, rides and fireworks; for me it will always be about friends, family and so many memories made.

I grew up raising and showing animals (pigs, sheep and beef cattle), the Dixie Classic Fair was always a favorite part of the show season.  As a child I loved riding the rides and eating all the cotton candy and candy apples I could get.  As I got a little older I found my favorite spot on the fairgrounds was not the midway but in the livestock barn.  The people were what really made the difference.  Many of them have been there my whole life and have watched me grow up.  The support and friendships made throughout my years of showing are some that I will always treasure.  Even though the livestock show brings a fair share of competition in that barn everyone works together and supports one another.
  I miss the early mornings before the sun was up, washing the cattle on the wash rack, late nights cleaning up, and taking a quick break eating lunch together on the showbox.  It was hard work but those times spent with my family are priceless memories that I will always hold onto.
I'm sure all of you have a similar spot that you love and miss, the Dixie Classic fair is mine.  It's where I grew up and the home of so many memories.

I have been attending the fair since before I was born, my first trip was in utero.

It's true what they say "Banners and ribbons will fade but the memories will last a lifetime."  Winning was nice but being able to share that with my family was even better.  I know my parents were proud of us each and every time we went in that ring, first place or last.  


Just looking at this picture I hear the whir of fans blowing, cattle mooing and I'm back in the barn. 

There's not a lot that compares to the feeling of walking into the ring and giving it your all.  Fellow showmen, enjoy your time it goes by so fast.


"It's sort of in your blood.  You don't think about the long hours or the money.  You do it because you love it." -Ross Haberfield


As I sit here eight hours away, I hold on and reminisce on the years spent and the memories made.  I can almost smell the scent of shavings, hear the announcer giving class results and feel that rush of walking into the ring.  
The fair will always hold a piece of my heart and I am forever grateful for the place it has had in my life. 

2 comments :

  1. This is your best blog yet! I love this so much! I really like how you put your feelings out there. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking forward to your next post!

      Delete