SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, October 9, 2017

What I Read in September


It's been a little while since I did a what I read post, I figured it was time I shared.

Return to Sullivans Island by Dorothea Benton Franklin: This book was just ok, easy to figure out and a little slow.  I didn't love the main character so it was hard to connect with the book.  It followed Beth who is fresh out of college and is house-sitting her families beach house for the summer.  She meets a developer and falls head over heels. As per usual there was a lot of drama and also the addition of a ghost in her families house.  It felt a little random but it was ok.  

Captivated & Entranced by Nora Roberts: I have read a couple of books by Nora Roberts and have enjoyed them.  This book was a set of two books.  They followed the Donovan clan who have a secret, they are witches.  The first book focused on Morgana.  She meets Nash, a screen writer who is writing a new movie about a witch. Of course they fall in love and the story continues from there.  This one was really strange and I really wasn't a fan.  The second book followed Sebastian, Morgana's cousin who is able to see the future.  He teams up with a detective to save a stolen baby.  This one was more interesting and I enjoyed the crime case.  

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher: With all the hype around this book I thought I should see what all the fuss was about.  For those of you unfamiliar the book follows Clay as he receives a set of thirteen tapes.  He soon finds out they are from Hannah, a girl who just recently committed suicide.  The tapes are her way of letting everyone know the part they played in her life (good or bad) and whether that led to her decision.  As you can imagine, it was a pretty heavy book.  The writing was really good and I couldn't stop reading.  I'm not sure how I feel about it as it does bring the idea of suicide more to light and can "glamorize" the idea.  It is definitely a book that sticks with you and make you think about the impact you are making on the lives of others.            

Swapping Lives by Jane Green: This one was a cute read.  It followed Vicky and Amber who are unsatisfied with their very different lives.  Vicky is a single magazine journalist living in London who wants nothing more than to get married and have a family.  Amber is a mom of two living a in beautiful mansion in a neighborhood right out of "Desperate Housewives".  Vicky winds up writing an article about "Swapping Lives" and ends up swapping with Amber.  I enjoyed the read, the story line was cute and I liked the characters.  It was an easy read and reminded me of Sophie Kinsella's books. 

Hissy Fit by Mary Kay Andrews: I am a fan of Mary Kay Andrews and really enjoy her books set in and around Atlanta and focusing on strong southern women.  This one was probably my least favorite.  I wasn't crazy about the main character Keeley.  She finds out her fiance is cheating on her with her best friend, during her rehearsal dinner.  Obviously she calls off the engagement.  The rest of the book focuses on her design business and her adventure decorating an old house in the community.  Like I said I wasn't a huge fan.  Keeley was just annoying and I had a hard time connecting with her.  Overall it was an easy read and I enjoyed it but just not my favorite from Mrs. Andrews.  

What have you been reading lately?       

No comments :

Post a Comment