SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, January 31, 2016

What I read in January


I am really going to try to read at least 3 books a month this year.  I love to read and have a pretty hefty stack of books to get through so here's to 2016! 

Family (Firstborn #4) by Karen Kinsbury: Starting off the year with a Karen Kinsbury.  For those of you not familiar she is a super popular Christian writer.  I have read a lot of her books and loved j but recently the ones I have read I have a hard time getting excited about it and have to push myself to finish them.  This one is continuing the story in the Firstborn series (one I stated last year).  It follows the Bacter family indirectly through their secret firstborn son who was given up for adoption and is now a movie star.  This is continuing his romance and trying to connect with his long lost family.  Decent story I just found it slow going.  

See Me by Nicholas Sparks: I love Nicholas Sparks, I have read every book he has put out and even though I can usually figure the end out by the middle of the book I still love them.  I asked for this one for Christmas and wasted no time breaking into it.  It is more of a thriller with (of course) a romance.  I did figure out the ending about halfway through but the story was good, I liked the characters and definitely a good read.  I do love Nicholas Sparks but I have been let down by some of his recent books as being easier to figure out and not falling in love with the characters as much as his earlier books (absolutely loved The Rescue and Dear John) 

First Love by James Patterson: I am a fan of James Patterson, he is similar to Nicholas Sparks in his chick-lit romantic writing with a surprise at the end.  Another thing I really like about him is the chapters are usually pretty short so I can fly through them.  Anybody else like me and hates long chapters?  It just feels like it takes me ages to get through them. This book is meant for a younger age (like high school) but it was still a decent read.  It reminded me a little of The Fault in Our Stars.  Very much a coming of age, finding love and dealing with loss kind of book.  I'm going to lend mine to my little sister.

The One and Only by Emily Giffin: I have been a fan of Emily Giffin since I read Something Borrowed.  She is a wonderful writer with well developed characters and interesting story-lines.  I don't want to spoil the story for you, but it was a little odd.  This book was just a little bit of a let down.  The characters were just ok and SPOILER the romance was kinda weird and ick.  Football is almost a character in the book so if you don't like football, beware.

What have you been reading lately?  


No comments :

Post a Comment